The mission of the Firm Counsel Project is to build a community of lawyers within law firms, corporate law departments, and other law offices who perform internal functions related to ethics, risk management, or loss prevention. The functions these lawyers may perform for their colleagues include:
- Serving on committees charged with ethics, risk management, or conflicts of interest resolution responsibilities for the organization;
- Giving ethics advice;
- Providing education about ethics and loss prevention issues;
- Handling malpractice liability claims and disciplinary matters and circumstances that may lead to them;
- Assisting in identifying, evaluating, preventing, or addressing conflicts of interest; and
- Assisting in client intake functions for the firm.
Building a successful community of lawyers doing this work requires opportunities to interact, allowing them to share ideas and approaches to these important functions. The Firm Counsel Project will create these opportunities, initially through three main avenues:
- In-person discussion roundtables in cities across the country.
- The Firm Counsel Project Listserv.
- Focused programming at ABA Business Law Section and Center for Professional Responsibility meetings.
If you are interested in being a part of our community, or in helping us continue to build this effort, please Join the Firm Counsel Project by clicking on the link below and take a minute or two to provide us with some contact information so that we can keep you informed of upcoming events. The Firm Counsel Project Listserv is up and running! If you are an ABA member and would like to sign up for The Firm Counsel Project Listserv, a link is provided below for you to do so. If you would like to sign up for the Firm Counsel Project Listserv but are not an ABA member, there is also a link provided on this page that you can use to join the ABA (and while you are at it, there are also links through which you can join the Business Law Section and its Professional Conduct Committee).