We are excited to announce that the number of registrations submitted for this year’s Spring Meeting in Santa Monica have been strong, so much so that the number of in-house counsel from the various underwriters planning on attending currently exceeds the number of firms who have volunteered to sponsor in-house counsel. If you have not already done so, we would appreciate if your firm would please consider sponsoring an in-house counsel to attend the Spring Meeting, Friday night dinner and daytime excursion. If you are interested in providing a sponsorship for an in-house counsel, please contact Marc Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org so that he can coordinate the sponsorship.
Meet The Members
Jerel has been licensed to practice since 1977 having earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D.) from the University of Texas. He is a sole practitioner with a practice focusing on real estate in Kingwood, Texas.
1) When did you first become involved in the American Bar Association Title Insurance Litigation Committee?
I joined TILC in 1992 when Donald Menmer of Philadelphia, an early chairman, called me out of the blue one day. It was shortly after I went into private practice. First attended a committee meeting in 1996. Convention was in Disney World that year. My wife and I took our kids. I liked the committee’s members and program. Have made the Convention every year since with two exceptions.
2) If you weren’t a real estate lawyer, what would you be?
If I was not a real estate lawyer, I might have taught physics at the college level or (less likely) written a column about music.
3) You are known for your Jimmy Buffett’esque shirts. How many are in your collection and which one is your favorite?
I have about 40 Hawaiian shirts. If you like, I can send you a photo (probably on Monday) of my favorite. Let me know.
4) Are you licensed in any other state besides Texas?
Only licensed in Texas.
5) What are your top three “bucket list” items?
I do not like “bucket list” concept. However, I will say I would like to
- Continue to take trips with my wife;
- Spend more time in the San Diego area, and
- Continue to help those (people and dogs) not as fortunate as me.
Click here to see our previous "Meet the Members" Profiles