Annual Meeting 2004
The American Bar Association
Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities
COMMITTEE EXCELLENCE AWARD
ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE COMMITTEE
For its exemplary leadership in promoting equal access to clean natural resources and equal protection from environmental harm as fundamental civil rights, contributing vitally to the American Bar Association’s environmental justice policy, and furthering the Section’s mission of providing leadership to the legal profession in protecting and advancing human rights, civil liberties, and social justice. The Committee’s work has included:
· Conducting a January 2004 comprehensive study of states’ environmental justice conditions in conjunction with the ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources and Hastings College of the Law, entitled, Environmental Justice For All: A Fifty-State Survey of Legislation, Policies, and Initiatives;
· Continuously educating ABA members, the wider bar, and the general public about environmental justice issues through programs and publications, most recently in the fall 2003 issue of Human Rights magazine, which addresses such environmental justice issues as government agencies’ approaches to environmental justice, the economic and health implications of environmental problems, and Native American concerns;
· Launching a series of initiatives in 2003 directed toward educating law students, providing training to attorneys, and promoting the availability of quality legal services to persons confronting environmental justice issues, including the Environmental Justice Essay Competition for law students;
· Establishing the Private Bar’s Commitment to Environmental Justice, a program designed to encourage and recognize law firm pro bono activities in support of environmental justice; and
· Fostering strong Committee growth and member involvement through recruiting activities, Continuing Legal Education programs, and public service.
It therefore is with great appreciation for the dedication of Committee members past and present, and with immense pride in the Committee’s record of achievement, that we present this award to the ABA Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities’ Environmental Justice Committee and its 2003-04 officers, Nicholas Targ (Chair), Veronica Eady (Vice Chair), Eileen Gauna (Vice Chair), Mary O’Lone (Vice Chair), Quentin Pair (Vice Chair), and Benjamin Wilson (Vice Chair), this 6th day of August 2004.