The Woman Advocate Committee
The Woman Advocate Committee is open to all members of the American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation. Joining the committee entitles a member to a number of benefits (see list below). The committee’s leadership is made up of experienced women litigators from all over the country working to provide support and useful information to all women who litigate.
To accomplish this goal, the committee provides its members with these benefits:
- The Woman Advocate, a quarterly publication
- programs that feature talented, effective women trial lawyers demonstrating trial and advocacy skills and styles
- programs on rainmaking for women, emphasizing how women can effectively attract and retain clients
- opportunities to network with other women trial lawyers and exchange information, questions, or ideas on a wide variety of professional and personal issues confronting women lawyers, particularly those in a litigation practice, including alternative work styles, balancing trial work and motherhood, mentoring, and perceptions of women advocates
Whether you want to receive The Woman Advocate, learn from and network with top women litigators, contribute to our programs and publications, or all of the above, join us. Section of Litigation members may join up to three committees at no charge.
We hope you have already made plans to join us in Kansas City on November 9-10, 2016 for the Woman Advocate Committee’s Annual Meeting. Registration is now open! Registration rates are competitively priced at $175 for ABA Section of Litigation Members, $235 for Non-Members, $50 for in-house counsel, and $25 for law students.
Programming consists of topics such as a General Counsel Forum, The Ten Trial Commandments, How Do I Connect With The Jury? Understanding Jury Psychology, Flex Your ADR Skills, Still I Rise: Women Legal Pioneers, Let’s Create A Good Ol’ Girls Network: Advocating and Networking in the C-Suite, and Choose Your Own Legal Ethics Adventure – An Interactive Journey Through the Most Troubling Ethical Dilemmas. Other events include a Welcome Cocktail Reception, Dutch Treat Dinner, and Annual Champagne Reception. Please see the brochure for more details.
Hotel Information: The historic Raphael Hotel located in the Plaza area has provided the Woman Advocate Committee with an excellent room rate for the Annual meeting. Reserve your room as soon as possible to get the WAC preferred rate. Rooms are limited!
Sponsorship: Also note that sponsorship packages are a great deal for law firms, and include up to three complimentary registrations depending on the level you choose. In-kind sponsorship opportunities are also available for the continental breakfast, coffee break, lunch, and closing champagne reception.
Sponsorship benefits are as follows:
- a. Law Firm Sponsorship Packages (all include at least one registration)
- 1. Bronze Level ($500): Includes one complimentary registration and the firm name will be included on the meeting brochure.
- 2. Silver Level ($1,000): Includes two complimentary registrations and the firm logo and name will be included on brochure.
- 3. Gold Level ($1,500): Includes three complimentary registrations and the firm logo and name will be included on the brochure and event signage. The firm will also receive special mentions during the meeting’s opening remarks.
- b. Corporate Sponsorship Packages ($1,500)
- 1. The company will receive three complimentary registrations the company logo and name will be included on brochure and event signage. The company will also receive special mentions during the meeting’s opening remarks.
This meeting is packed with meaningful networking activities and substantive and engaging programming, but we need your help to make this event a success!
Please join us!
Check out the March 2016 edition of ABA's Law Practice Today. The "Women in Law" issue features articles with tips for navigating the male-dominated IP world, the role of women on corporate boards, and other topics critical to being a female in the legal world.
More than 315 attendees in 25 locations across the country participated in the Woman Advocate Committee's September 22 Regional Education and Networking Event. The special program—"The Grit Project: True Grit and a Growth Mindset"—featured speaker Milana Hogan of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, who provided an overview of the Grit & Growth Mindset research. Local hosts and attendees then discussed how grit and mindset can be applied to scenarios commonly experienced in the practice of law. Thank you to all our hosts around the country, and we hope to see you again for our next program.
Cochairs Sabrina Beavens, Erica Calderas, Beatty O'Donnell, and Heather White welcome you to the Woman Advocate Committee. Read the new Message from the Chairs to learn more about the noteworthy, and fun, activities that we have planned for the year.
WAC Monthly Conference Calls
The second Tuesday of every month, the Woman Advocate Committee holds an hour-long conference call to discuss committee issues and planning. If you would like to join our calls, please use the following conference information:
Call in # (866) 646-6488 / Passcode: 2611-423-420
Minutes from Committee Meetings
- » December 2015 |
- » September 2015 |
- » July 2015 |
- » June 2015 |
- » May 2015 |
- » February 2015 |
- » January 2015 |
- » December 2014 |
- » November 2014 |
- » October 2014 |
- » September 2014 |
- » June 2014 |
- » May 2014 |
- » March 2014 |
- » January 2014 |
- » December 2013 |
- » November 2013 |
- » October 2013 |
- » September 2013 |
- » August 2013 |
- » July 2013 |
- » June 2013 |
- » May 2013 |
- » April 2013 |
- » March 2013 |
- » February 2013 |
- » January 2013 |
- » November 2012 |
- » October 2012 |
Our active subcommittees include:
- Young Lawyer Outreach
- Website & Technology
- Balancing Work & Home
- Corporate Counsel
- Regional Meetings
Find contact information for committee and subcommittee chairs: